The New Bern Rotary Club was founded in 1920, fifteen years after Paul Harris and three others formed the first club in Chicago. The oldest and largest Rotary Club in New Bern, we meet at lunch each Tuesday at the Chelsea Restaurant downtown.
Our club is involved with numerous local charities such as the Literacy Council, Merci Clinic, and Wash Away Unemployment. We also support community nonprofits with funding earmarked for special projects.
Follow these links for:
Rotary Leadership 2017-18
Robinson and Stith Insurance
Individual Life, Disability, Long Term Care
David Baxter, Jr.
Areas of Practice
- Health Care Law
- Local Government and Municipal Law Representations
- Estate Planning and Probate
- Incompetency and Guardianship
- Landlord/Tenant Disputes
- Corporations and Limited Liability Companies (“LLCs”) – formation, restructuring and management
- North Carolina Central University (J.D., 2009)
- Appalachian State University (B.S.B.A., 2006)
- State Courts of North Carolina
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
Keith is an advocate for local charities and has served on the boards of MERCI Clinic, Craven Literacy Council and led the Non-Profit Council of the New Bern Chamber of Commerce. He and his wife have been prison volunteers since 2001. Keith Merritt, a graduate of West Point retired as a Colonel in the U.S. Army. He spent the next four years leading the Episcopal Farmworker Ministry in Newton Grove N.C. before moving to New Bern in 2001.
Mr. Cheek, J.D. is a partner with Oliver & Cheek, PLLC in New Bern, where he provides legal services in the areas of bankruptcy, estate and succession planning, and business contracts.
Bill Sherman is Pastor Emeritus at Centenary United Methodist Church in New Bern.
Directors at Large
Director Walt Kerner
Director Tripp Eure
Director Thomas Smith
Director Darlene Brown
Director Nancy Houyoux
Membership – Keith Merritt and Phil Swain
Fundraising – Meloni Wray, Phil Swain, and Nancy Houyoux
Grants and Projects – David Baxter, Jr. – President-Elect
Program – Gray Wheeler
Youth Services – Walt Kerner
- Interact New Bern High –
- Interact Epiphany – Walt Kerner
- Rotaract – Ray Staats
- RYLA – Rex Bennett
- Scholarship – John Kirkland
Administration – Bill Green
Foundation – Tripp Eure
Public Relations – Darlene Brown
- News Articles – Sandy McKinney
- TV Spots – Bob Manning
- Website – Darlene Brown
- Social Media – Darlene Brown and Bob Manning
Family of Rotary – Rheta Matthews, Phil Swain, and Bob Manning
Greeter – Walt Crayton
Sergeant-at-Arms – Dennis, Doug, Zan, and Cindy